Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sometimes it’s just easier to swim…

Would the Titans-Colts game end already? I’d like to get to sleep so I can hit the rec. center for the last time before my membership ends and I’m without a pool again.

But I took advantage of the pool and track today, after morning yoga, with a slightly bricky workout: a 4,100-yard swim...
  • 1,000 yards IM drill
    (25 fly, 50 back, 75 breast, 100 free;
    25 free, 50 fly, 75 back, 100 breast;
    25 breast, 50 free, 75 fly, 100 back;
    25 back, 50 breast, 75 free, 100 fly)
  • 10 x 50 free sprints on 1:00
  • 4 x 250 yards alt free and IM kick
  • 10 x 50 free sprints on 1:00
  • 1,000 yard IM (sub. one-arm fly)
  • 100-yard cool down
... followed by a 2.5-mile run: the first was 10:15/mile, followed by a 9:25/mile, and then halfway through the third mile I felt the gentlest twinge in my left calf. It was so slight that it may have even been a mental pain, but I didn’t want to test it. I stretched it out, walked a few laps and went home. Today's swim was the first time I've done such a long, fast set of sprints (20x50 free) in at least ten years. Talk about pushing it! At least I was able to finish the swim. Sometimes, I suppose, it's just easier to swim 2.5 miles than run...

Grannies are good to eatSurprisingly, I made it through the entire day without a nap. I didn’t drag because I had a wealth of things to do… and an even greater wealth of things to eat. When I was food-reading in the bible last week, I hit on that tip about eating carbs and protein (and little to no fat) within an hour after training, and it was all I could think about on the ride home.

OK, I honestly would have chowed on a fried basketball if one had presented itself, but my actions/intentions ended up much better with this quick (less than 5 minutes) meal:

  • 1 cup cooked cous cous (150 cal, 0g fat, 30 carbs, 5g protein) cooked with jasmine green tea, cayenne and green onions
  • ½ cup chilled organic black soy beans (120 cal, 6g fat, 8g carb/7g fiber, 11g protein)
  • 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds (85 cal, 7g fat, 2g carb, 5g protein)
  • 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream (47 cal, 4g fat, 2g carb, 1g protein)

And I followed it with a crisp, tart Granny Smith apple. Quite tasty! It was a little more fatty than perfection, but I'll work on it.

The weather over the next week seems conducive to outdoor running—just in time for no-more-rec and my new job in Cleveland. I’ll be checking out all the recommendations I’ve received from everyone. Thanks a bunch!

No Browns in the playoffs. Sigh. At least now I can go to sleep while you check out Lance Armstrong in Dodgeball...


2 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

No Browns. Or Vikings. Oh well.

Happy 2008 anyway!

triguyjt said...

organic black soy beans..awesome... check out how much protein in those babies...youza.. fabulous.
nice workouts...4100 swim...plus the run.. very nice.
your gonna be IronG in 10' not 15.
great job...