Monday, November 22, 2010

Weeks 4-6: Smarten up by being dumb.

So, you know about my biggest issue — you know, the "eh, screw it!" problem. It has powered the weighty rollercoaster I've been riding since I was... 15, maybe.

"Eh, screw it!" is that heartbreaking (but frequently delicious) moment when for whatever reason I overindulge myself into the guilt sweats. It used to be a Thursday-night tradition that would last all the way to Sunday night. But this week, I finally had a break.

See, I was retaining some serious water last week. Even though I was getting in some incredible workouts, eating way right and feeling fab, I stepped on the scale Thursday morning to see... 129.0. (Insert expletives here.)

I was crushed! All that work for nothing. Sure, I knew it was a bad week for weigh-ins, but I was hoping for the best. And hope, it turns out, isn't a weightless thing. That and fem cycles weight a ton.

So, I stood at that crossroads: all that sacrifice and hardwork... and I gained two pounds: do I throw in the towel and be happy with my big butt? Or do I accept that not every week will deliver a weigh-in victory?

Thursday wasn't so bad. I made test-batch #1 of candied jalapeno-gingersnap bread pudding (it's for Thanksgiving), and only ate slightly more than I should have. But it wasn't a wasted diet day. Then something snapped on Friday. I don't even remember when it started or how it happened. I do remember there being a lot of chocolate, plenty of cookie cake, even more plenty of cookie cake frosting, too many bowls of Cinnamon Life, Crunch bars, 100 Grand bars... and that icky, icky feeling. You don't get more "eh, screw it!" than that.

It may have just been crazy-lady must-have-chocolate emotions. Exhaustion. Whatever. The difference between this moment and pretty much every other "eh, screw it!" weekend, however, was that I cut it super short.

I woke up early on Saturday, got eating right from the start. I cut way back in a healthy way on my calories that day (still maxed the protein), drank oodles of water and tea, and completed a challenging day of workouts and housework. Same for Sunday. While I realized all wouldn't be saved by two days of super-behaving, I hoped I'd at least not go up on the Monday-morning weigh-in.

Efforts rewarded.

When last I wasn't retaining too much water, I weighed in at 127.4. This morning I was 126.2. So, I'm just a tad behind on my pound-a-week quest, and more than five pounds down from the starting line. I'll take it!

But "eh, screw it!" faces a seriously challenge this week: Thanksgiving 2010. Not only am I eating the family dinner, I'm cooking it too.

My bootcamp trainer does a great job of passing on useful diet/fitness info. One of the recent articles was about preparing yourself for the big holiday dinner, avoiding a bulge battle and gearing up to not overdo it. Sure it sounds a little bit crazy, but admitting you have a problem is the first step. Step #2 is doing something about it.

So, here my now: I will break into the 125's by Thursday morning weigh-in and not weigh more on Monday morning.

Dear Thanksgiving,

You will not defeat me this year. You are delicious. But you are my bitch.

Cheers!
GP

3 comments:

Mnowac said...

Good luck, pass some of your motivation my way. I haven't lost shit, in fact I've gained. So sad is my pants right now.

Cindy said...

Hi G, I just ran into your blog. I think that's incredibly honest to post your weight :) I struggled after having kids and now I just eat dessert if I run/workout more than two hours.
Good luck with your Ironman training!

Unknown said...

Lavie is actually a make that will be boldness plus cost-free, for any newer women who seem to truly worth its personality and they are generally top-quality for presence. fake handbags It is really a fun variety of bags this flatters you will discover ambiance of your women. replica watches It has the tagline suggests "Handbags to your quite a few you" which will reveals a make realizes that gals are usually potent. Lavie includes baggage almost every problem. replica cartier They may have bank baggage on sale which have been classics in a women"s current wardrobe as well they can have sophisticated models these kind of when pastels and also fluorescents to increase unit so that you can the girl's current wardrobe. replica louis vuitton Lavie is actually a young women travel luggage name brand by using bags mainly appropriate for a Gen Gym newer women of all ages around China who sadly are multi-ply part, successful, separate plus vivacious. A unit represents a dynamism with children. chanel replica handbags It"s your some time ago published unit, appeared within the field pertaining to over twenty years backside and has now now was able to often be vastly well-known among the list of a little women.