Friday, October 19, 2007

Fractured Leg, Broken Spirit

Well, the jury’s still out, but by the middle of next week I should find out whether I have a stress fracture in my left leg. The doctor I saw today says evidence points to it, but I’ll have my fingers crossed for the next several days that the x-rays point to nothing but tendonitis or something. I’ve been prescribed ibuprofen (for swelling) and physical therapy. And I’ll need some form of backup exercise for all the depression eating I’ve done today.

It was fun talking to a medical professional who also runs. When I told her that I first started feeling pain in late August/early September and that I didn’t do anything about it even when the pain became excruciating, she said, “Well, you’re a runner. We tend to do that.” And I kind of thought it was cool to be called a ‘runner.’ Hee hee.

She admitted that she tore a tendon once and denied it for weeks before the other medical personnel in her office convinced her that she had a problem. So, while it doesn’t make my long-term denial (or my lower leg) any better, she made me feel like less of a self-imposed loser. Perhaps it's just a condition or labor of love or something.

The biggest issue now is my brain. Sure, I’ve had pain in my leg, but I’ve been sticking to walking (still OK for now) and yoga (depends), which have given my broken/not-broken leg some much needed rest. Relatively. Nevertheless, when she indicated that I likely had a fracture, it started to hurt! So, I spent the past month convincing myself that it didn’t hurt… and now I can’t help but think it does. Sigh.

On the bright side, the flu is mostly gone (I still have one of those annoying nighttime coughs that has to be making Neil homicidal, even if he would never admit it—thanks, man!). But I can say, ‘at least I have my health.’

High fives and best wishes and great vibes to all the butt-kicking marathoners (Jenn, Salty, Landon… anyone else I’m forgetting?) running the good race this weekend! You rock! Now go run!

8 comments:

miss petite america said...

holy crap! when it rains it pours! sending you some major good health karma!

The Salty One said...

Man, that stinks G!! I hope it isn't a you know what! Thanks as always for rooting for me. Can't wait to tell you all about it! Also can't wait for your first marathon. Any plans?

JenC said...

Good luck and heal well. At least it is the end of the season and you have time to build for next year after you've healed.

miss petite america said...

your nike plus just ran a marathon!

B Bop said...

I was afraid I had a stress fracture last year...but after an MRI found out I did not. Injuries are tough to deal with, and may do more character building than the training/competing does. Stay positive and keep us posted on what the doc says.

Charlie said...

Be patient. Get well. Swim bike, ice.

SavvyFitChica said...

Hey GP, have you heard anything yet? My fingers are still crossed and they're starting to get sore...no, just kidding...but I am anxious to hear what the diagnosis is!
Kelsalynn

Joe said...

I'm sorry to hear about your leg. Denial can be more powerful than even prescription-strength pain killers. It can make you do things you shouldn't do. We athletes are all guilty of denial from time to time. Don't feel bad about it. Perhaps this will be the motivator to get you back in the pool 3 days a week. Just don't push hard off the wall! Take care of that leg.