Thursday, October 11, 2007

This is the Flu That Never Ends…

It’s hard to believe that it’s been nearly two weeks since the half marathon and, therefore, just as long since this sickness began. I’ve lost my voice and about 30 pounds in mucus over the past two weeks (too much info?). I’m still wholly convinced that this is a ploy by my body to keep me from running.

And it’s been working for the most part. This week I walked for about 3-4 miles twice at 14-15:00/mile, and have felt pretty peachy before, during and after each walk. At least my yoga and weight-training have never been better. My calf feels a little sore in the morning sometimes, but nothing as painful as pre-half times. In fact, it used to hurt to the touch, which made it really difficult to stretch, do yoga or even scratch my leg.

So, can you keep a secret? I tried running for about three strides on Tuesday night. It felt great. No pain at all! But I’m sticking to my prescribed healing period. My mantra has been what Landon said to me the last time I was injured: the miles I forsake now while healing will be fewer than the miles I would miss if I didn’t let my injury heal. And if all else fails, I can always become a speed walker and go to the Olympics.

4 comments:

SavvyFitChica said...

I think your friend Landon is totally right. You should listen! And hurry up and get better already would you?!?! Geez... =)

Papa Louie said...

Hopefully, it's not strep. My wife was sick for 5 weeks. It was bad. I hope you're feeling better this weekend.

miss petite america said...

i got your package!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!

and chica, do i need to send you a care package in return!? get thee to a doctor!

Landon said...

Don't get down on yourself about injury/sickness: it happens to everyone. Being well begets doing well so your priorities are in the right place.

You'll pull out of this soon. If things don't start to improve soon, I'd recommend copious bloodletting to balance your humors.