Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sometimes All You Need is a Vacation

Of sorts.

I spent Sunday night at my mom’s house because I had a doctor’s appointment in the morning. It was a lovely commute. So, I stayed another night. And between the improved travel, perfect run and doggy-ful environment, I’ve become totally spoiled and am refusing to go back.

Sort of.

Even though I left work a little later than usual yesterday, I made it to my mom’s house by 4:45 p.m. and hit the road running just before 5 p.m. I wound up and down eight blocks and meandered back the same route. It was a 45-minute run at about 10:00/mile pace, which has been my norm for a few weeks. Let’s just say the wind wasn’t going to let me pick it up anyway.

While the wind by Lake Erie this time of year can be vicious (it makes lakeside colder in late winter/spring, but warmer through fall and early winter), the roar of waves and gusts coming off the lake has an intimidating-yet-claming quality to it.

I miss taking late-evening walks in the neighborhood and being lulled by the whoosh of sounds. Sure, I didn’t really miss the bite of abusive winter air, but you get that everywhere. And boy did I.

Thankfully I was equipped with my Mizuno running tights, which hadn’t quite been test to this degree before yesterday. My legs took an initial cold beating, but it was my face that really came home chapped.

I’m very confused whether my cold-endurance has increased with my running experience or it’s actually gone in the opposite direction. Last winter I ran in some pretty inadvisable conditions (stupid is actually the word I use now), and this year I’m a little bit more wimpy. I don’t know whether I’ve just lost a taste for suffering or I just need an imminent race to nip at my heels.

Unfortunately, the only distance traveling I’ll likely do this evening is ride all the way home. I know it’s really not that bad, but I’ve been on vacation.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Hi G. The other day I read a NYT article about how running in the cold isn't as dangerous as people think. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/health/nutrition/17BEST.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1203513336-bsp02ftA2dbWCVyRBi2nVw

As for your stomach and fatigue thingy, G, you might consider taking the probiotic "acidopholous" (good bacteria like what is in yogurt. Avail. over the counter). It helps to balance the good and bad bacteria in your intestines, helping with digestion and limiting the bad bacteria in your bloodstream that might be the cause of your fatigue.

Still love those squirrel pics!

The 311 Boys Mom said...

I'm with Jim on the stomach thing (I did the yogurt).

As for your run; I'm not super close to the water, I'm a metro Detroit-er & I've yet to run outside under 40. BUT, I will be doing just that tomorrow. I am a WIMP & I’m not ashamed to admit it. lol

I will be getting running tights tonight tough, I'll be the girl with shorts over them (like my mom with a bathing suit). . . .The tights show ALOT!!!! . . .I saw Mr. Runner in my neighborhood last night & I really SAW him. . .thank heavens he's super hott!

triguyjt said...

g.
i live real close to the lake and i love running around the neighborhoods along it.. yes, its super chilly winter-spring, and its amazing how even 2-300 yards away from the lake is much warmer, but thats one of the attractions..
I remember one spring day last year. 63 degrees by my gym in willoughby, and I had the convertible.. by the time I got to my house by the lake.. 46 degrees....yikes... I am drawn to the lake..grew up on it.

triguyjt said...

I just tagged you. It's a pain, but I hope you do it anyway!

The rules are as follows:
# Link to the person who tagged you
# Post the rules on your blog.
# Share seven random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog.
# Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
# Leave a comment on their blogs so that they know they have been tagged.

thanks...triguyjt..