Friday, March 23, 2007

Flying to Fuel My Stride

Good thing: I left work an hour early (because I missed lunch) to go swimming at the rec. center.

Bad thing: I went hungry-grocery shopping after swimming and nearly bought the whole store.

In between watching the tournament (I have been wearing my lucky Georgetown shirt all week long) and making rice pudding, I’m plotting out my long run for tomorrow. It looks like it will rain all day long, which makes me wonder whether I should hold off until Sunday. Or I’ll bust out the raingear.

And I was definitely on top of the swimming weather today as well: it was lightning-free and I took this 2,200-yard swim...
  • 1,000 yards free
  • 3 x 200 yards fly
  • 100 yards fly kick
  • 500 yards free

Halfway through the first 1,000 yards, I thought I should start picking up my swimming pace (since I’ve been working on improving my running speed). I took out the first 500 yards in about 8:00; I brought it home in 5:30.

I love that feeling when my muscles are warmed and I could not only swim forever, but I could swim hard and fast forever. It’s a feeling I hope to achieve (someday, please!) in running.

Mr. Phelps: the ultimate butterflierThe last 500 yards of the warm-up left me energized, so I turned immediately into my first 200 yards fly. Let’s just say that there’s no better way to wind up and whip down your exhausting week like swimming 600 yards butterfly.

Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment, but I love swimming butterfly even when it makes me feel like I want to die.

Butterfly has always been my best stroke (although I was never really happy to swim it in competition), but more than anything else I like its effect on other areas of my athletic life.

Hitting the point of absolute exhaustion in a fly set is probably one of the more painful things I endure in my training. But there’s such a feeling of accomplishment when I just push off the wall and continue with my next set. My body adjusts and I may still be tired, but I get better and better each time I push myself beyond my comfort level.

So, when my legs want to fall off in the middle of a long run or when I’m struggling to make it up a hill, I push through it with my fly-reinforced will. That’s really the only semblance of will power I have, so I better keeping flying away.

Update: the Hermes Cleveland 10-Miler on April 28 sounds like my best bet for the spring distance race. I’ll also be scouring the Web and the country for other tasty races and destinations. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and support.

I realize the Cleveland Half-Marathon isn't a one-time deal, but I was looking forward to the challenge. But I can't lie: I'm looking forward to the trip even more!

1 comments:

Joe said...

> I went hungry-grocery shopping
> after swimming and nearly
> bought the whole store.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you didn't buy Twinkies and chocolate bars.

> 3 x 200 yards fly

Oh, you're sick! You are totally ill!

> I took out the first 500 yards in about
> 8:00; I brought it home in 5:30.

Nice!