Sunday, March 25, 2007

I Wish I Were Lance Armstrong

I have become notorious for my enthusiasm-based decision-making. Whether it’s attaching myself to projects twice my size at work or registering for four graduate classes in one semester, I’m pretty good at overextending myself and expecting the best.

And in most cases I push through the difficult portion, get everything done and look back with pride. Hence the reason I’m targeting the Ironman! But today I failed—because of poor planning, bad timing and even worse shape.

After yesterday’s 10-mile run, I felt motivated to get moving on my warm-season training schedule. So, I woke up early this morning, ate a bowl of oatmeal, packed my swimming bag, hopped on my bike and headed for the rec. center at Kent State. But as I traversed the same hills I thought were cake yesterday, oh how I wished I were Lance Armstrong!

Between the tiredness in my legs (which I did not feel when I left; darned enthusiasm!) and what actually did turn out to be my poor cycling shape, I was showering in lactic acid by mile three. I was about two-fifths of the way to the rec. center when I hit a hill that just stopped me in my tracks. I had overdone it. Realizing that I probably wouldn’t have anything left to swim when I biked the rest of the way, I turned around and rode back home. In shame.

On the bright side, I did get an hour of good, hard, hilly cycling this morning, and a fair assessment of what kind of shape I’m in. It’s just a good thing that my first triathlon isn’t until August. And I thought running was going to be the difficult part. Pshaw! Plus, I don't have my afternoon class tomorrow and can make up my swimming then.

But if I couldn't be Lance Armstrong, I think I would be Peyton Manning. Not only does he have a Super Bowl ring and half the sponsorships in the Western world, he's also one funny guy and was on SNL last night. I love/hate people who are so diversely talented. I didn't actually catch the show, but read the recap and caught the Web videos. Check out his United Way spoof. Viewer discretion is advised.

4 comments:

miss petite america said...

i want to marry peyton manning!

and don't be so hard on yourself chica. you're a rockstar in my book as i am throughly impressed by your workouts. enjoy "sucking" now, because you won't be "sucking" for long! :)

Jim said...

Hi G.

Your 10 mile run totally rocked! So you gotta' give your body time to recover from it. Rest and recovery is as important as the actual training (even with young 'thangs like you - not just us old guys). So don't fret that you didn't have a Wheaties day the day after.

Just keep focused on the BIG picture and don't try to do too much too soon. You're certainly doing great so far in your training.

The Salty One said...

Hi G! I hope you enjoyed the GORGEOUS weather yesterday! Days like that make the winter and post-winter sludge well worth it!!

Anyway, I think you are getting a bit over your head runningwise. I'll give you 10 miles, but 7:30 pace is WAY TOO FAST!! At this point in your training most, if not all, of your running should be at an easy pace. And when I say easy, I mean nice easy trot, the kind of easy trot in which you could sing the national anthem easily or carry on a long animated conversation with a running partner. When you're done you should feel good and satisfied and generally like you could have kept going and could have gone faster if you really wanted to. After your run you should be able to do some of that skipping if you wanted to! You aren't far enough a long where you should have to recover from a run yet.

And by way of reference, I run most of my runs around 8:30 (anywhere from 9:00-7:45, but usually on the slow end) pace or so. I run hard on specific days for specific purposes only. If I'm just running it's relatively slow and easy.

You have plenty of time to work on speed, but you first have to get your body accustomed to running more miles by easing it into running. The crazy thing is that you will get A LOT faster this way then if you start out running fast all the time and you'll be a happier healthier runner for it!!


I think you need a longish term plan. You'll feel better about running slower most days (sometimes it stinks when people who are in way worse shape show off and pass you, but we all go through that!) and you'll see where the speed stuff goes and why. If I were you, I would pick a fall race as a goal race (with a goal time, too) and then make a training plan to reach the goal.

PS I started running slow, but 3 months after I started I realized I could run fast so I started running fast just about everyday. Within 6 months I was injured and could hardly run at all. Then mrp told me to slow it down and even though it wasn't as fun at first it's the best thing I ever did!

PPS Sorry to be all preachy!

Anne said...

The great thing about doing hills, on foot or bike, is when it's over! (And heed the advice above. It's all true about the value of recovery and easing into a faster pace.)

P.S. I looked at your weather button and it's warmer in Cleveland than it is here in San Diego. What's that all about?!