Sunday, February 4, 2007

Not Off to a Great Start

It's so sunny and beautiful outside you would think that Mother Nature pulled one over on our ever-accurate meterologists. I woke up early this morning to hit Trader Joe's (stock up for the big game) and then head out for my first 5-mile run.

When I walked out to my car, I was fine. I was packed into a T-shirt, two fleece jackets and a leather coat so I wasn't underestimating the freeze. Once in Woodmere, I rushed from the car to the store (this sounds like the "Itsy-Bitsy Teeny-Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" song) and still no pain. But by the time I finished shopping, loaded the car, returned my cart and ran back, I thought my nose had actually fallen off and taken several of my fingers with it!

As I carried the bags thirty yards to my door, the keys I had clenched in my teeth actually stuck to my top lip. It's freezing cold madness out there!

I'm going to give it a few hours to see if the temperature will exceed TWO at any point (17 below wind chill). I'd really like to get running. The rec. center is an alternative, butI would really like to stick to outdoor running whenever possible. Not only would I like to maintain my ability to run on varying terrain, I'm really just trying to avoid the rec. track and running in that muggy circle while dodging people who don't understand the basic rules of traffic and merging.

So, I'll try to find a way to work on that endurance goal from the warm comfort of my home. We'll see how that works out for me.

0 comments: